Does your busy laboratory perform up to 135 erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) tests per hour and are you looking to automate this process? If you have already automated this process but are you looking for a smarter product then Starrsed RS is the obvious solution. Building on the success of the Starrsed line, the Starrsed RS has a built-in rack loader and a large capacity. Starrsed is the world’s only product line that allows laboratories to perform ESR tests at large scale that are fully in agreement with the Westergren Method (the Gold Standard). An hourly capacity of approximately 135 samples brings ESR sampling to new heights. The Starrsed RS achieves the highest degree of reliability in testing, leaving you and your operators available for other tasks in the laboratory.
Westergren Sedimentation Method
One of the oldest and most frequently requested blood tests is ESR. It has not changed fundamentally in the way it is carried out since Westergren described it in 1921. In 2011, the International Council for Standardization in Hematology (ICSH) and the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) defined the Reference Method for ESR to be the Westergren Method; the Gold Standard. The objective of ESR testing is to measure the inflammatory state. The Westergren Method measures both infections related to infectious diseases and chronic inflammatory conditions. In addition to being very reliable, the Westergren Sedimentation Method is also amongst the cheapest laboratory tests available.
The Starrsed RS works with standard blood cell counter racks and performs dedicated ESR measurements fully unattended. Simply place any blood cell counter rack in the rack-adapter and walk away – the Starrsed RS takes over. The rack loader minimizes the operator’s time to virtually zero and makes it is easy to use by every employee in your laboratory.
A built-in barcode reader identifies each sample. Capable of bi-directional communications with the laboratory information management system (LIMS), the Starrsed RS knows which samples require ESR testing and which do not.
- The Westergren glass tubes are re-usable after each automatic cleaning with Starrsed Cleaning agent. Therefore no additional costs for new pipettes. No disposable plastics of any kind are used.
- It is easy to add the Starrsed RS to your laboratory as it accepts virtually every brand of blood cell counter rack and all regular types of sample tubes.
- As opposed to other ESR test instruments, Starrsed instruments actually identify and report hazy samples so that the lab technician may decide on further testing.
- The Starrsed RS makes use of EDTA sample tubes. The advantage is that EDTA blood is very stable compared to pre-citrated samples, allowing for accurate ESR test results up to 24 hours after collection. This provides laboratories with even more logistical flexibility.
- Because the Starrsed RS dilutes the blood, which is in agreement with the Westergren Method, it compensates for different hematocrit levels. The hematocrit level of the sample, therefore, will not influence the accuracy of the ESR measured.